Thursday, May 28, 2009

family's up

my Grandfather, sitting
in his red and mustard velor track suit
head of the table
in the back of the kitchen
he tells me about skinny dipping in quincy
the black and white cars meant trouble
i thought about my skinny dipping
and how i knocked myself out
head hitting paddle boat paddle
not a right now story, i reckon

dine at ninety nine, party seven
three daughters, all mom hair
Dani, my blonde new bride texan cousin
has discovered my facebook
pictures of what I call getting an education
how are you and sean? she asks
he’s fine he’s fine, I say
building a racecar somewhere
oh she says i’m twenty i say

Papa: the only male, alpha wolf
discovers his third drink
the first spilling on his lap to heavy silence
by the third, loses three twentys to chronic generosity
helping him in the car seat
he whisper yells in my ear
don’t let this long thing happen again!
Denise, lady america fitness, first born
will tuck him in tonight
next to nonni’s nightgowns

No comments:

Post a Comment